DIRECTOR OF STRATEGIC ENGAGEMENT AND COMMUNICATIONS
About the WSCRC
Founded in 1979, the Washington State China Relations Council is the leading statewide organization dedicated to strengthening commercial, educational and cultural ties with China. With over 130 members – public sector organizations and global companies in aerospace, banking, business, environment, government, innovation, industry, technology, research, among others – the Council facilitates dialogue and delegations with American and Chinese business and government leaders on key policy issues, including investment, trade, environment, diplomacy, etc. For more information, visit http://wscrc.org/.
This position offers a unique opportunity for a customer relations and marketing professional to lead external relations and member services in the nation’s oldest state-level, nongovernmental organization advancing US-China-WA state relations.
The Director of Strategic Engagement and Communications is responsible for initiating, directing, and implementing strategic engagement and communications with WSCRC members, stakeholders, prospective members, and the public. The successful candidate will demonstrate a clear commitment to advancing US-China-WA State relations in trade, investment, education, and culture, exceptionally strong customer relations, written and oral communications skills, and solid experience in stakeholder engagement, strategic thinking, and project management. He or she will be self-driven, creative, and adept at managing complex internal and external teams and relationships.
- Enhance and implement WSCRC’s membership engagement plan and strategic communications; grow member relationships; and coordinate day-to-day communication and office administration
- Integrate and implement a coherent external engagement program, effectively positioning key messages by composing and editing communications, planning and handling media relations, leveraging social media and new media platforms, stakeholder outreach, partner relations, management of multiple brands, and planning and facilitating conferences, meetings, and events
- Design, steward, and implement ongoing strategic engagement and communication plans by strategically integrating WSCRC’s communications and membership outreach capabilities through printed publications, including brochures, quarterly updates, briefing papers, fact sheets, and the WSCRC website, blog, and social media programs; publicity, advertising, public information programs, awards, and promotional activities; video productions; manage local and national media relations and coordinate interviews, articles, and op-eds;
- Ensure that WSCRC engagement and communications initiatives fully align with and expand the Council’s mission, program investments, partnerships, and policy priorities;
- Develop and manage positive and effective relationships with public, private, corporate, philanthropic, and nonprofit sector partners to advance WSCRC’s impact areas – Policy and Strategy; Investment and Innovation; Culture and Community
- Plan and facilitate meetings and conferences with a broad variety of constituent, partner, and stakeholder groups.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Communications, International Relations, International Trade, Asian Studies, Economics, or related subject is preferred, together with a solid knowledge of US-China relations; 3-5 years work experience preferred.
- Superior demonstrated skills and capacity in customer relations, service, and strategic relationship development with ability to fully integrate a broad range of communications/engagement initiatives, resulting in an effective, efficient and strategic work plan
- Strong program and event management skills, driven by a commitment to quality, results, fiscal responsibility, and efficiency
- Initiative, curiosity, capacity for learning, instincts for branding/marketing, and a preoccupation with quality and service in member relations
- Excellent written and oral communications skills with full capability to write articles, position statements, print and e-communications, as well as public speaking and making presentations to stakeholder groups and the public; experience with and innovative spirit to maximize social media platforms including but not limited to websites, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of multiple parties and to work in team environments; sound, strategic decision-making, based on analysis, experience, judgment and professionalism; ability to build productive relationships with internal and external constituents
- Solid knowledge of Chinese culture and proficiency in Chinese (Mandarin) preferred
- Proficient in the full suite of Microsoft Office and able to leverage new media, social media and technology platforms; experience with Razor’s Edge, Salesforce, or equivalent is a plus.
COMPENSATION AND REPORTING
Salary based on experience. Reports to the WSCRC President.
Washington State China Relations Council is an equal opportunity employer. Interested applicants may submit cover letter, resume, and writing sample to email@example.com and indicate “Director, Strategic Engagement and Communications” in subject line.